Producer: Bodegas Volver - D.O. Alicante.
Current Vintage: 2015.
Denominación de Origen: D.O. Alicante.
Vineyard: Multiple proprietary vineyards planted in the unique terroir of the subregion located between the Sierra de Salinas, Sierra de Umbria, and the Sierra de la Sima.
Year(s) Planted: Between 1972 and 1979.
Grape Varietal: 100% Monastrell.
Viticulture: Traditional dry farmed viticulture. Organic goblet trained vines. Cultivated completely by hand, with minimal human intervention. Harvested by hand.
Yields: 3 kg per plant.
Vineyard Area: 460 acres (185Ha.).
Altitude: 2100-2450ft. (650-750m).
Soils: The soil is dry and shallow, and is primarily composed of limestone, which is the mother rock. The soil is intermixed with large chunks of pure chalk. The largest marble quarry in Europe is located near our vineyards, testament to the chalky quality of the soils. Marble is the product of chalk, or calcium carbonate, that has been compressed over a very long period of time.
Climate: Continental, with some Mediterranean influence. A very unique microclimate that is the result of the convergence of the three previously mentioned mountain ranges, combined with the high altitudes, that are unique to this sub-region of Alicante. Due to th.
Harvest: Beginning of October.
Winemaking: The grapes are sorted meticulously at the winery, and fermented in stainless steel tanks by indigenous yeast. Malolactic occurs in tank, and the wine is transferred to second vintage French oak barrels for ageing.
Ageing: 6 months in second vintage French oak Bordelaise and Burgundy barrels. Tarima is aged in the barrels used for the previous vintage’s Tarima Hill.
Bottling: Unfined and unfiltered.
Comments: Tarima is a fresh, fruit forward, young expression of the most authentic clones of Monastrell (mourvedre) located on Earth. Indigenous to Alicante, and sourced from a completely unique terroir.
Notable Scores and Awards by Vintage:
- Guía Peñín 2017: 91 puntos.
- Josh Raynolds, Stephen Tanzer's International Wine Cellar, Octubre 2013: 90 puntos.
- Robert Parker's The Wine Advocate, Noviembre 2013: 85 puntos.
- Guía Peñín 2014: 90 puntos.
- The wine Advocate, edición octubre 2012: 91 puntos.
- Josh Raynolds, Stephen Tanzer’s International Wine Cellar, octubre 2012: 90 puntos.
- Guía Peñín 2013: 88 puntos.
- Guía Peñín: 88 puntos.
- Dr. Jay Miller, The Wine Advocate, artículo 188, abril 2010: 87 puntos.
- Best Buy Wine Enthusiast magazine. Julio 2012.
- Josh Raynolds, Stephen Tanzer’s International Wine Cellar, nov./dic. 2010: 88 puntos.
- Best Buy Wine Enthusiast magazine. Michael Schachner, febrero 2011.